Friday, October 22, 2010

albuquerque, new mexico.

So, I've realized that i've been on hiatus for quiet some time. But that's to be expected of me adapting to situations and new experiences in my life. But I am here in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Three weeks have gone by and I feel finally ready to share what I've been doing.

Week one was a bit of a challenge. Despite not knowing anyone in Albuquerque except Bob and Suz, they introduced me to so many people that live their lives how they love to live.... making art or being a part of it in some form. I've met costumers, jewelers, knife makers, ninja warriors, sculptors, heard stories from actors and artists alike. Which lead me to where I am now.

Week one was spent on a ballooning crew for 5 days. A regiment. Everyday i'd wake up at 4 am to get myself ready for a day of ballooning. The International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque is the most photographed event in the world. Being an amateur enthusiast of photography I felt that it was something I needed to be a part of but not solely for the photos. It was being a part of so much more. At this point in time in my life I'd be at preseason practice for basketball. The NCAA starts preseason practice in September and goes till a time in October where real practice starts. I felt I was missing that part of my life this year a little bit, but I realize now that in true form, I was a part of a team. New people, new experiences everyday. My team was all very new to me. I didn't know a single person. But my next door neighbor, Rachel, took me under her wings and showed me a totally different world.

Hot air balloons.

Now if you're from the midwest like I am, you'd realize that hit air ballooning is somewhat of a figment of the imagination. I got to live it. I dont particularly consider myself a morning person but I know when there is something too good to pass up. Judy- our pilot, who happens to be the municipal judge of Albuquerque, couldn't have been more welcoming. The first morning I was sitting at breakfast eating breakfast burritos in the crew and pilots tent with our crew, Judy made a point to include me in everything that was going on. While everyone was chatting and finishing their food she said "want to come see what the weather is like today with me?" Inside I had no problem getting up to find out what it was all really about.

The mornings usually started as this: We'd get to the field. Meet in the tent for breakfast and everyone would have something to tell each other. It was all very strange to me at first, being a 22 year old amongst people in their 40's 50's and 60's on my team, to get things together. To be honest I was the youngest in the bunch but there were younger people who came along for a similar experience. A crew memeber Ken and his grandson were both their the first day i started, totally unexpected ot meet anyone my age, but were there for the ballooning just like I was.

My first day was total excitement. As Rachel would say.. I experienced the "thrill of the chase"-- relating to the sheer experience of being a part of a balloon crew and getting to set and take down the balloon. Our part that day was to chase and follow the pilot and her passenger, that day being my very favorite person on the crew, Ned, from West Lafayette, Indiana. I got to see the inside workings of a hot air balloon team and even got to be a part of it.

Day two was no different from day one. I woke up @ 4 am to greet Rachel at my front gate and go meet the rest of the crew to caravan into the fiesta field. We ate breakfast et al. That day was a competition day where balloonists would compete in different events to try and win prizes such as $200 or even a new car. Judy decided that the weather was too risky to even put the balloon up that day so we didn't. I was adjusting to work with Suz so I felt compelled to go home and try to work some instead of jsut playing.

I continued crewing the rest of week only to be totally humbled by the experience of "flying with out wings" for the first time in my life. Being above the ground so many thousand feet made me feel things in a different light. When we were trying to find a place to land... the winds stayed steady and fast. Our landing would've been so much different if kind fellow balloonist didn't literally lift us up. We landed safely in a parking lot where 5 other balloons landed shortly after us and every person around lent a helping hand. Something I really liked to see. It reassured me that I was supposed to be here, even by the kindness of strangers. Later that afternoon during the normal tailgate after flight I was inducted into the Wicker Clan by hearing the story of ballooning and being blessed with an Irish prayer. In the Irish fashion, there was drinking involved... but with Champagne.... how French.

We listen to the story about the first flight of the hot air balloonist which really existed only of a turkey, a duck and a goat. Started in all in France-- how nostalgic of me.. (GEORGE). At the end of the story the whole wicker clan says an irish prayer and "blesses you" as you drink champagne from a plastic cup with out hands and ultimately pour water over your head as you're trying to drink while saying, "don't spill!"

What an amazing first week.

The second was a bit more frustrating for me.

I realized that I can't be good at everything and that I'm still learning and will constantly be learning in my life. I feel that it's the only day way of doing it.

Week three proposed a challenge for me: A visitor and work... when I work from home. My dear friend Jake came for a visit a few days earlier then expected and it realy put things into perspective for me.... I'm here to do what I'm here to do... work...learn and be a part of a different way of life and had a hard time separating this for the most part. I'm glad that it was Jake I was with because he had no object to me doing what I needed to do during the week despite my feeling of being a "bad hostess" because I couldn't cater to him. But he's a willing and able human. Thanks Jake, for being able to see past the surface of what most would expect from a visit.

Right now I feel very willing and able to do anything and everything especially with the help from my "landlords" or "bosses".. but those words to me don't seem to fit how Bob and Suz have taken me in. I feel really a part of their family. They like having me around and I like being around with them. I have so much to learn from them-- and I know their never ending life experience is going to give me a lot of what I need for the future.

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day. I get to see a bronze pour for the first time in my life.. a feat that Bob describes as "spectacular". Then a costume party hosted by Suz's son and fiancee, her son who i've known my whole life. I'm very excited to continue to be a part of this world that I've found here in Albuquerque.

Chicago-- i still love you, but I'm doing what needs to be done.

Thanks for being so supportive the past few weeks... Bob, Suz, Mal, Sam, Jake, Sheila, Megan, Britt, Brandon, Kenny and Kelly. you've all really helped me.

Now-- HERE WE GO! I'm ready to continue. Until next post.

Peace and much love,
kmb

No comments:

Post a Comment